Pain During Urination (Dysuria)
Dysuria is a common complaint in men and a presenting symptom of various conditions. Most frequently, the presence of dysuria reflects a urogenital infection such as urethritis, prostatitis, epididymitis, or urinary tract infection.
The initial evaluation of the man who presents with dysuria is focused on infectious etiologies.
- Urethritis – Urethritis is generally caused by a sexually transmitted infection, most commonly Gonorrhoeae, Chlamydia and Mycoplasma.
- Trichomonas vaginalis, and herpes simplex virus are also recognized causative pathogens. Herpes simplex virus can be a cause of acute urethritis without causing visible herpetic lesions
- Prostatitis – Gonorrhea and chlamydia can also cause acute prostatitis in sexually active men. Other non STD bacteria such as Escherichia coli, Enterococci can be associated.
- Epididymitis – In men younger than 35 years, chlamydia is the most common organism responsible for bacterial epididymitis along with gonorrhea.
In older men, prostatic hyperplasia is more common, involving organisms such as E. coli and other coliforms.
Men who engage in insertive anal intercourse are at increased risk for epididymitis due to coliform bacteria.
- Urinary tract infection – As in women, the most common causes of urinary tract infection in men are bacteria such as E. coli.
What are some of the symptoms associated?
1. Painful urination
2. Itch or discharge at the tip of penis.
3. Fever, chills, malaise, myalgia,
4. Cloudy urine.
5. Pelvic or perineal pain.
6. Dribbling and hesitancy to anuria.
What can the doctor do for me?
At DTAP Express, we have rapid urine testing for chlamydia and gonorrhea. You will be asked to collect first-catch urine in the bottles available at DTAP Express.
Penile self swabs will be available as well if any discharge is noted by yourself.
If required and if your test results at DTAP Express is positive, a doctor’s review will be arranged where further discussion and detailed physical examination will be performed by the doctor and discussion about ultrasound prostate can be done if necessary.
At the same session, our doctor will be able to formulate a treatment regime for you based on your results. Also, patients with risk factors for a sexually transmitted infection will be offered screening for syphilis and HIV infection as well.